5 Steps To Fruit Perfection
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - While shopping the fruit aisles, keep your senses sharp - touch, smell and sight play a significant factor in choosing the perfect Ontario tender fruit.
- Select fruit that is firm and fragrant.
- Remove immediately from the container in which it was purchased and sort according to ripeness.
- Store ripe fruit in the refrigerator or enjoy right away.
- To ripen firm fruit, store at room temperature and out of direct sunlight in a loosely closed paper bag for a day or two.
NOTE: Plastic bags are not suitable for ripening fruit, as they will trap moisture and air, which can cause premature spoilage, so always use paper bags.
- Once ripe, store tender fruit in the refrigerator for up to one week or rinse/wash fruit and enjoy immediately.