Simple Spring Snacks To Boost Your Energy Levels
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - It's time to spring into the season with a little more bounce in your step! March is nutrition month and what better time to make small changes for the good of your health?
Choosing healthy snacks between meals is one thing we can do to improve our eating habits. Not only will healthy snacking give you energy you need to enjoy the season, but also the fuel you need to be active. Sue Mah, Registered Dietitian and Sports Nutritionist offers the following super simple snack ideas:
- Slices of apple and peanut butter
- Low-fat yogurt topped with berries and nuts
- A glass of chocolate milk or fortified soy milk and banana
- Trail mix of dried fruit, coconut, peanuts and cereal
- Cheddar cheese and whole grain crackers
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
- Cottage cheese and fruit
- Celery sticks spread with smooth or chunky peanut butter
- A hard-boiled egg with a glass of orange juice
- Raw veggies dipped in hummus
"Ensure your snacks include some protein such as peanut butter, to give you long-lasting energy," says Mah. "A recent study showed that those who chose peanuts and peanut butter over typical low-fat snacks, like rice cakes, felt fuller for an extended period of time. Overall, they consumed fewer total calories throughout the day and this can help with weight management."
The first day of spring comes with the promise of warmer days, lighter layers and the urge to take better care of ourselves. Without a doubt, Canadian winters are long, so take advantage of the rising mercury: be a little more active, eat well and simply enjoy spring.