Grilled Pesto Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Contributed by: NAPSA
Year-Round Grilling Brings Family Together
(NAPSA) - There are easy ways to bring the family to the table-even if schedules are overwhelmed with work, school, band practice, rehearsals and sporting events.
Busy mother and professional chef Jill Houk says she understands the importance of finding a simple and delicious dinner that involves the entire family. Her solution: the grill. Often solely associated with summer months, seasonal grilling allows families to capitalize on the time they have together while creating an enjoyable and collaborative cooking experience.
Chef Jill, who is a chef for Sara Lee, offers these tips on making the most of grilling this season.
- Don't limit yourself to burgers. Instead, find something you love to cook and put it on the grill. Chef Jill took her favorite sandwich and made it grill friendly.
- Make it a team effort. "At the end of a busy day, it's essential to have the entire family pitch in with dinner," advises Houk.
- If you grill with children, always supervise them near the grill. Remember that the grill can stay hot for up to two hours.
- Skip the mess. Cooking your sandwiches, vegetables and Ball Park Franks in tin foil virtually eliminates grill cleanup.
- Don't skip dessert. "Stone fruit, such as peaches, nectarines and plums, are great on the grill," says Houk. "So is Sara Lee Pound Cake. Just slice, brush with melted butter and grill."
- 1 package Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Whole Grain White Bread
- 12 slices Sara Lee Pre-Sliced Smoked Provolone Cheese
- 18 slices Hillshire Farm Ultra-Thin Sliced Honey Ham
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 6 slices ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 roll aluminum foil
Preheat grill to medium heat.
Split each roll. Place one slice of cheese on bottom roll. Top with three slices ham, 1 to 2 tablespoons pesto and tomato slice. Top with one slice of cheese and the top half of the roll.
Wrap each sandwich individually in foil. Place on grill and heat 5 minutes. Turn over and grill additional 5 minutes. Unwrap sandwiches and enjoy.
For more grilling tips and recipes, visit www.TotalMealsOn line.com.