White Onion Dip
Contributed by: NAPSA
Healthier Holiday Gatherings
(NAPSA) - The holidays don't have to be all about overindulging.
"A little planning can go a long way in helping you stay healthy and enjoy the holidays without regret," says Tammi Hancock, a registered dietitian. "An occasional small treat will help keep you from feeling deprived, but try to keep it to one per day."
Here are a few other tips and tricks to enjoying healthy and happy holidays:
- Don't Go Hungry: It's tough not to dive into the buffet or hit the appetizers hard if you're famished when you arrive at a holiday get-together. Try eating a filling and healthy snack such as apples with peanut butter before the event to help you avoid temptation and make healthier choices. Skip the buffet if you can; or try using a smaller plate so you don't feel tempted to pile it on or end up feeling deprived.
- Gifts From the Heart: Everyone enjoys a holiday cookie exchange or a homemade gift basket of goodies. This year, really wow them with cookies or gifts that are as healthy as they are tasty. It's easy to do with a few simple substitutions. Replace regular butter in your favorite holiday cookies and treats with lighter spreads such as Smart Balance(r) Butter Blend Stick; it has the same flavor and cooking qualities without all the saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Better Potluck: Instead of bringing a decadent treat or another trans fat-laden dip, lighten up; your friends and family will appreciate the taste and nutrition. Try switching to one of Smart Balance's new sour cream varieties to make great-tasting versions of your favorite dips. Along with great taste, you'll be adding vitamins D and E as well as calcium to the mix.
- 2 cups Smart Balance Sour Cream and Omega-3s & Vitamins D and E
- 4 tablespoons of any Smart Balance milk variety
- 1 cup very finely chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and serve with fresh veggies.
Save time before a party-prepare up to 2 hours in advance and refrigerate.
Serving Size: Makes 6 2-Tablespoon Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 51 calories, 1 gram protein, 2 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fat, 2.3 grams saturated fat, 0 grams monounsaturated fat, 0 grams polyunsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 22 mg omega-3 fatty acids, 2 mg omega-6 fatty acids, 13 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 0 grams fiber.