Contributed by: News Canada
Summer Entertaining Kicks-Off with the Press of a Button
(NC) - The summer season is a time for socializing, sunning and siestas - not a time to be cooped up in the kitchen. As long as you have fresh ingredients on hand you can make light, stress-free meals in seconds with this summer's essential cooking accessory - the blender.
"By preparing a light meal before your guests arrive you will have more time to spend with friends and family and spend less time slaving over the hot grill," says Korey Kealey, food and entertaining specialist, Food Thought Communications. "By confining your preparation to one or two appliances you can make cocktails, appetizers, main dishes and even desserts quickly and conveniently with minimal clean-up."
Kealey offers these additional tips for fun summer fiestas:
- Summer is not a time for structure - save your formal sit-down dinner parties for winter. Placing light appetizers and seasonal fruits and veggies around your entertaining area creates a relaxed vibe where your guests can eat, drink and enjoy themselves at their own pace.
- This summer why not throw a themed summer fiesta that has a cool latin vibe? Crank up the salsa music and break out your blender to make some Lightened-Up Guacamole. Complete with food processing capabilities, the Oster Fusion Blender can chop, slice and dice ingredients quickly, reducing prep-time for the host.
- Put away your wine glasses this summer. Instead mix it up with fresh and cool summer cocktails like margaritas or daiquiris. By experimenting with classic cocktails you take the stuffiness out of any dinner party and can even use them to complement the theme of your bash!
- In the summer, less is more! Make sure your theme and decor include elements of nature. Decorate your backyard or patio with bouquets of simplistic but colourful flowers.
For more information visit www.blendit.ca
- 1 can green tomatoes (tomatillos), drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips and assorted fresh vegetables
Put the first five ingredients into the blender container. Cover and pulse on medium or low until chopped finely. Pour into a bowl and serve with tortilla chips and veggies.
Serving Size: Makes 1 1/2 Cups