Ginger Shrimp Rotini
Contributed by: News Canada
How To Host A World Pasta Day Family Party
By Diana Degan Robinson
(NC) - October 25th is World Pasta Day, and Canada's number one pasta manufacturer, Catelli, is calling on all Canadians to celebrate by hosting a Smart Pasta Family and Friends Party.
- Send out invitations via mail or email and let loved ones know you're thinking of them and want to spend some time together.
- Set the table in shades of green, red and white to add an Italian flair to the festivities. Write the names of your guests on mini Italian flags and place them in stands, lay them across their plate or tuck them into a folded napkin and let them be your place cards. Make sure you mix up the usual seating arrangements so that people get to catch up with family members they may not see that often.
- Or emphasize the Canadian connection by using just red and white. Pull out those decorations you tucked away after Canada Day and reuse the napkins and placemats, dishes and flag decorations.
- If you're short on space and have many friends, set up a pasta buffet and let your guests choose how they would like to dress their pasta. Place ingredients like various pasta shapes, cooked mushrooms, cooked shrimp, grated cheeses, cooked vegetables, diced ham, sausage slices, and meatballs in small bowls alongside various sauces and let guests create their own pasta masterpieces.
- Look for nutritious and unique, yet tasty and kid-approved pasta recipes to prepare for your guests online at www.smartpasta.ca.
- Place a small card at each seat with a question that person has to ask the group to break the ice and get conversation and laughter flowing.
- Realize that even as you gather everyone around the table, sharing stories, laughing and getting reconnected, you are helping someone less fortunate. When you purchase any of their pastas on October 24 and 25, including Smart pasta, Catelli will donate $1.00 to Canadian Feed the Children charity.
And don't forget to snap a picture of your group enjoying their pasta. Go to www.smartpasta.ca, follow the instructions to load your photo and share your favourite way of enjoying pasta and who you most love to share it with and why. You could win a year's supply of Catelli Smart pasta and everything you need to create a special Italian feast for your family.
Looking for a different taste on everyday pasta? Try this exotic take that's sure to have guests and family alike asking for seconds.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 pkg (500 g) Catelli Smart Rotini pasta
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 each clove garlic and small red onion, thinly sliced
- 454 g (1 lb) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 250 mL (1 cup) chicken broth
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cornstarch
- 1.5 L (6 cups) lightly packed spinach
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) minced fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook rotini according to package directions.
Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add shrimp; stir-fry shrimp for 2 minutes.
Whisk broth with cornstarch; add to pan. Bring to a boil.
Add hot rotini, spinach and ginger; toss until spinach is wilted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings