Spicy School Day Smoothie
Contributed by: NAPSA
Sensible Snack Solutions For The School Lunch Box
(NAPSA) - Here's food for thought: Nearly 50 million students are attending approximately 97,000 public elementary and secondary schools, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. That equals a lot of lunch boxes needing nutritious, kid-approved snacks.
Parents also need to note what is stocked in the home pantry, since that determines what options kids have to snack on.
For healthy, but tasty, lunch box items and after-school treats, parents can start with these practical choices to keep children energized:
- Pack simple fresh veggies, including sliced carrot and celery sticks. Pair these crunchy snacks with fun, healthy dipping sauces such as low-fat cream cheese or dressing.
- Choose organic snacks when possible to reduce consumption of unwanted pesticide residues. For example, Santa Cruz Organic Apple Cinnamon Sauce cups are a portable and tasty option.
- Avoid sugary sodas and juices. Instead, consider R.W. Knudsen Family's organic Sensible Sippers juice boxes, made with half water and half juice, which cuts the calories by 40 percent and reduces the sugar load. The 4-ounce boxes are suited to children's petite hands and portion control.
- A peanut butter sandwich can be especially healthful if made with whole grain bread, organic peanut butter (such as Santa Cruz Organic's dark roasted) and organic jams or jellies.
- Let them go nuts. Cashews and almonds are easy, high-protein snacks. Buy them from the bulk containers to avoid unnecessary packaging and to get the desired amount.
- Start the day right with a nourishing smoothie. Try this recipe:
- 1 cup R.W. Knudsen Family's Morning Blend juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small banana
- 8-10 shelled walnut halves
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 large ice cubes
- 2 shakes ground nutmeg
Blend everything together, except the nutmeg, at high speed for a minute and a half. Pour into 2 tall glasses. Shake the nutmeg over the top of each glass before serving.
For more healthful snack ideas, visit www.RWKnudsenFamily.com and www.SantaCruzOrganic.com or call (888) 569-6993.
Serving Size: Makes 2 Servings