Warm Spiced Lentils
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - With thick, crusty bread, and served over couscous, this is a hearty, meatless main dish. For a Mediterranean feast, this pairs perfectly with grilled lamb.
- 1 cup green lentils 250 mL
- 2 tbsp olive oil 25 mL
- 1 red onion, chopped 1
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 3 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped 3
- 1 cup chopped Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber 250 mL
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and ginger 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp paprika 2 mL
- Pinch cayenne pepper Pinch
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley 125 mL
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 25 mL
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled 125 g
- Lemon wedges
In large saucepan, cover lentils by 2 inches (5 cm) of water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer
until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened,
about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, two-thirds of tomatoes, the cucumber, cumin, ginger, paprika and cayenne; cook,
stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add parsley and lentils; stir for 2 minutes. Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper to
Fold in remaining tomato.
Garnish with feta cheese and lemon wedges.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings