Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Cool days call for hot, brimming bowlfuls of this zesty soup that's almost a meal in itself. It's so quick and easy to prepare, you can whip it up after work or during a Saturday of chores.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion chopped
- large carrot, chopped
- jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- sweet green pepper, chopped
- large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped
- 2-19 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed 2-540 mL cans
- 1 tbsp chili powder 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 1 tsp crumbled dried rosemary 5 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1 cup grated Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber 250 mL
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic onion, carrot, jalapeno pepper and
green pepper, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin and rosemary; bring to boil. Reduce heat and
simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Season with salt. Serve garnished with cucumber.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving: 361 Calories, 19 g Protein, 5 g Fat, 60 g Carbohydrate