Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
This colourful, hearty salad is a great way to use up leftover bagels or crusty bread.
- 4 cups 1 L diced fresh tomatoes (about 5 medium tomatoes, 1 1/2 lb/750 g)
- 3/4 cup 175 mL slivered red onion
- 1/2 cup 125 mL chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup 125 mL water
- 1/3 cup 75 mL each olive oil and white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp 5 mL each ground black pepper, salt and sugar
- 6 cups 1.5 L cubed or torn day old bagels or dense, crusty bread
Combine all ingredients except bread in a large bowl; let stand for about 10 minutes to allow
flavours to develop.
Add bread; toss well to coat.
Salad is best served immediately, but will hold several hours at room temperature.
Serving Size: Makes 6 to 8 servings