The Best Gazpacho
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
From "Saved By Soup: More Than 100 Delicious Low-Fat Soup Recipes to Eat and Enjoy Every Day" (Morrow), by Judith Barrett
Really ripe tomatoes are essential to this soup.
- 3 medium-size ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds), seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, scallion and garlic in a food processor or blender
and process until smooth. Add the vinegar and tomato juice and continue processing until
thoroughly combined with the vegetable puree. Transfer the soup to a bowl and season with salt
and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Check the seasonings before serving.
Serve in chilled bowls.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving: Calories 48, Fat 0.6 grams