Contributed by: Chris, WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening or bacon grease
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1/2 cup Steen's pure cane syrup or blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Ground Mustard Seeds (see the recipe)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and
saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook until the puree begins to turn brown,
about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and
cook gently for one hour, stirring from time to time.
Meanwhile, sterilize three 1-pint jars and their lids, and leave in hot water.
When ready, remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool slightly before using. Or, bottle in the
sterilized jars and adjust the caps. Refrigerate for later use.
Serving Size: Makes 3 pints