Healthy Strawberry Pancakes
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - These nutritious pancakes are per&ect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Blend the oats and buttermilk several hours in advance or overnight.
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats 500 mL
- 2 cups buttermilk 500 mL
- 2 eggs, beaten 2
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted 50 mL
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 125 mL
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar 15 mL
- 1 tsp each: baking powder and baking soda 5 mL
- Pinch each: nutmeg and cinnamon Pinch
- 2% milk, if need to thin batter*
- 2 cups sliced strawberries 500 mL
- Vegetable oil
In large bowl, mix oats and buttermilk.
Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Ghisk eggs and margarine into oatmeal mixture.
In small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices; add to oatmeal
mixture. *If necessary, blend in milk 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time to thin batter.
Stir in strawberries.
Heat large, heavy, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush lightly with oil. Ladle 1/2
cup (125 mL) of batter onto skillet.
Cook until batter bubbles and bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Turn pancakes and cook until golden brown, another 3 minutes. Transfer to warm plates.
Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve with Southern Strawberry Coulis.
Serving Size: Makes 8 to 10 pancakes