Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - You can easily make this dish during the winter with frozen whole berries. Let the berries warm up for an hour before slicing them.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced fresh or frozen (unsweetened) 500 mL
- dash paprika
- lemon pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried, crushed basil 2 mL
- 1/8 tsp chili powder 0.5 mL
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, grated 2 mL
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, chopped 5 mL
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, from fat-free bouillon 125 mL
- 1/2 cup apple cider 125 mL
- 1/4 cup apple cider mixed with 50 mL
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch and set aside
- 1 tbsp Cointreau (orange liqueur) 15 mL
- Non-stick cooking spray
Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with paprika and lemon pepper. Spray a non-stick pan with
cooking spray and heat on high.
Brown both sides of the chicken, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Add the apple cider and
broth, as well as the basil, chili powder, garlic and ginger.
Heat to boiling. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Turn chicken pieces over several times
during cooking. Cover and continue cooking until the chicken is tender and juices run clear when
pierced with a fork.
During the last 5 minutes of cooking add strawberries, Cointreau and the cornstarch mixture,
whisking until sauce is smooth and thickened. Serve over rotini pasta.
Serving Size: Serves four