Spicy Ginger Bars
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, cut into 14-inch dice
Preheat an oven to 375 F. Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour,
tapping out the excess.
In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the butter, brown sugar and
granulated sugar until light, creamy and smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating
thoroughly after each addition until creamy. Beat in the molasses.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ground ginger and cloves. Add the flour
mixture to the butter mixture and beat well on low speed until thoroughly combined. Add the crystallized
ginger and stir to mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until the top is golden, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the
pan on a rack. Cut into 48 bars, each about 1 1/2 inches square.
Serving Size: Makes four dozen; serves 12