Shrimp Rice Pita Wrap
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Marinating the shrimp overnight and precooking the rice speed up preparation time for this easy main dish. For casual entertaining, let guests fill their own pita.
- 2/3 cup olive oil 150 mL
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 50 mL
- 2 medium onions, chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided 10 mL
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 500 g
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, seeded and julienned
- 3 cups cooked brown rice 750 mL
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves, stems removed and torn 1 L
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper 2 mL
- 3 pita bread (about 6-inches/15 cm), cut in half
In a large bowl combine oil, vinegar, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the onion, 1 clove of the garlic and 1
tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning. Add shrimp; stir until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or
Thoroughly drain shrimp; discard marinade. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until
Add shrimp, remaining onion, peppers, and remaining garlic; sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until
shrimp is pink. Add rice, spinach, remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Cook stirring 2 to 3 minutes or until flavours are well blended and spinach is wilted.
To serve, fill each pita with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup (125 mL to 175 mL) rice.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings