Rice Chicken and Avocado Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Try using grilled chicken in this recipe which makes a great summer salad or wrap filling.
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice 750 mL
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or shrimp 500 mL
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery 250 mL
- 1/2 sweet green pepper 1/2
- 1/4 cup minced onion 50 mL
- 3 tbsp lemon juice 45 mL
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 30 mL
- 1-1/2 tsp salt 7 mL
- 1 tsp sugar 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper 1 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Salad greens (optional)
- Tomato wedges for garnish
Combine rice, chicken, avocado, celery, green pepper and onion in large bowl.
In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, salt, sugar, white pepper, garlic and hot sauce.
Pour over rice mixture and lightly toss.
Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve on salad greens and garnish with tomato wedges or use
to make wrap sandwich.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings