Contributed by: Chris, WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium-large ripe, firm tomatoes (about 8 ounces each); avoid soft or overripe tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Place the crumbs in a small bowl and add the parsley, basil, cinnamon and allspice. Mix with a
fork. Add the oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Mix thoroughly until all the crumbs
are moistened with the oil. Set aside.
Lightly oil an 11-inch-by-7-inch baking dish or other pan with sides. Core the tomatoes and
cut in half crosswise. Arrange the tomato halves cut sides up in the oiled pan and sprinkle with
additional salt and pepper. Divide the crumbs evenly over the six tomato halves; there should be a
thick layer of crumbs.
Bake the tomatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crumbs have browned and the tomatoes
are soft when gently squeezed around the circumference. Serve straight from the oven or at room
Serving Size: Serves 6