Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 pounds (12 medium) new or waxy potatoes, peeled, scrubbed and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/2 cups low-fat or skim milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt, preferably sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces Gruyaire cheese, grated (3/4 cup grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat the oven to 400 F; rub the inside of a 3-quart baking dish or gratin dish with the cut clove of
Place the potatoes in the baking dish in an even layer. Beat together the milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
Stir in half the cheese. Pour this mixture over the potatoes.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring the gratin every 15 minutes. Sprinkle on the
remaining cheese and dot with butter. Continue to bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until the gratin is
crusty and brown on top. Remove from the oven and serve.
Serving Size: Makes 6 - 8 Servings