Peppery Corn Chowder
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 tsp vegetable oil 5 mL
- 1 onion, chopped 1
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 25 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes 0 .5 mL
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth 375 mL
- 2 cups frozen kernel corn 500 mL
- 1 potato, peeled and diced 1
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced 1
- 1 bay leaf 1
- Pinch dried thyme leaves Pinch
- 1 can (385 mL) Carnation(r) 2% Evaporated Milk 1
- Salt and pepper
In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened. Stir in flour, cumin and pepper flakes until
moistened; stir in broth. Add corn, potato, red pepper, bay leaf and thyme.
Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Stir in evaporated milk.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
This terrific corn chowder has just a fraction of the calories and fat of traditional chowders
made with cream. Add important nutrients like Vitamins A, B, C and D, calcium, iron and zinc to
your diet - deliciously. One serving of chowder has as much calcium as 3/4 cup (175 mL) of milk.
Cumin, pepper flakes and black pepper add a hint of heat; for bolder palates, increase these
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Per 1 cup (250 mL) serving: 277 Calories, 14 g Protein, 5 g Fat, 44 g Carbohydrate