Ontario Greenhouse Tomato Chick Pea Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Savour a taste of the sunny Mediterranean on a
cold winter's day, with this simple, do-ahead salad featuring vine-ripened greenhouse tomatoes
and cucumbers. Perfect for a vegetarian lunch at home or at work, or make this a delicious accompaniment to grilled meat or poultry.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick peas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley 250 mL
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1 cup chopped Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber 250 mL
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup cubed Swiss cheese* 250 mL
- 1/3 cup olive oil 75 mL
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar 45 mL
- large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried tarragon leaves 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- Pinch cayenne pepper
In large bowl, combine chick peas, parsley, Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, Ontario
Greenhouse Cucumber, onions and cheese.
Whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic and seasonings. Toss dressing with salad
Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
* For a change, replace Swiss cheese with feta, mozzarella, Cheddar or Monterey Jack.
Serving Size: Makes 6 to 8 servings