Ontario Apple Lemon Tart
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Fresh Ontario apples, tangy lemon and creamy cheese nestled together in a crisp ginger crust make this dessert irresistible.
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted 50 mL
- 1 1/3 cups ginger cookie crumbs 325 mL
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar 25 mL
- 1/3 cup lemon spread or apricot jam 75 mL
- 1 pkg. (250 g) cram cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 mL
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest 15 mL
- 3 cups peeled, thinly sliced Ontario apples 750 mL
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar 45 mL
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 2 mL
- 1/4 cup Sliced almonds 50 mL
In medium bowl, combine margarine, cookie crumbs and sugar.
Press into bottom of an 8 1/2-inch (21 cm) springform pan.
Bake in 325 F (160 C) oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and increase heat to 400 F
Lightly spread base with lemon spread.
In medium bowl, cream together cheese and sugar. Beat in egg and lemon zest; pour over
lemon spread. Arrange apple slices over cheese mixture. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle
over apples. Top with almonds.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender and light golden brown.
Remove to rack and cool. Refrigerate until serving.
Remove pan rim. Cut into wedges.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving:
Energy 101 Cal - Protein 0.3 g - Fat 0.6 g - Carbohydrate 24 g - Dietary Fibre 4.3 g - Sodium 0 mg - Potassium 184 mg
Percentage of Recommended Daily Intake Vitamin C 15%