Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
Contributed by: News Canada
This classic recipe has been updated using applesauce and Fat Free evaporated milk to make a delicious low fat version. Serve with fruit preserves and a warm beverage for a delicious mid-day snack.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 550 mL
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 175 mL
- 1 tbsp baking powder 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats 375 mL
- 3/4 cup applesauce, sweetened 175 mL
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can NESTLE(r) CARNATION(r) Fat Free Evaporated Milk 385 mL
- 1/3 cup butter, softened 75 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
- 3/4 cup raisins or chopped walnuts 175 mL
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and rolled oats in a large bowl. In another bowl, stir
together applesauce, egg, evaporated milk, butter and vanilla. Pour applesauce mixture into flour
mixture and stir until just moistened. Stir in raisins.
Fill greased muffin tins right to tops. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for 25 minutes or until top
spring back when lightly touched. Let cool for 10 minutes on rack. Remove from tin and serve
warm with fruit preserves.
Serving Size: Makes 12 muffins