Nine Layer Casserole
Contributed by: Betty
- 6 slices White Bread
- 4 cups cooked Chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Margarine
- 1 (8 oz.) can Water Chestnuts, drained and coarsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
- 6 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 oz. American Cheese
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/4 cup Margarine, melted
- 2/3 cup fine dry Bread Crumbs
Butter a 13" x 9" baking dish. Using alumnum foil, build up sides to make pan a couple inches
taller so liquids do not cook out over pan.
Line bottom of pan with bread slices. Sprinkle chicken over bread.
In a saucepan, cook mushrooms in 2 tablespoons margarine. Using slotted spoon place
mushrooms over chicken.
Combine water chestnuts and mayonnaise. Spoon over mushrooms.
Top with cheeses.
Combine eggs and milk. Pour over cheese.
Combine soups. Spread over previous layer. Cover. Chill 3 - 24 hours to let flavors blend.
Bake, uncovered 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
Combine melted butter and bread crumbs (I double this) and sprinkle over casserole.
Bake 10 minutes more.
Serving Size: Serves 10 - 12