Mixed Fruit Chutney
Contributed by: Alice
Recipe By: The Book of Preserves by Mary Norwak
- 1 pound plums, halved,pitted, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 4 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ripe pears, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 10 2/3 cups seedless raisins
- 5 cups malt vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground gonger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 10 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large saucepan, mix plums, tomatoes, apples and pears. Stir in sugar, raisins, vinegar,
salt and spices. Bring to a boil, stirring well.
Reduce heat; simmer 1 1/4 hours or until thick and golden brown.Stir often.
Wash 10 (1 pint) jars in hot soapy water; rinse. Keep hot until needed. Prepare vinegar proof
lids as manufacturer directs.
Ladle hot chutney into 1 hot jar at a time. Wipe rim of jar with clean damp cloth. Attach lid.
Fill and close remaining jars. Place in canner.
Process in boiling water bath., 20 minutes. Let mature 1 month before using.
Serving Size: Makes 10 (1 pint)