Contributed by: For Your Life
Get a head start with this easy breakfast recommended by the team of Registered Dietitians at Dairy Farmers of Canada for busy families.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) large flake oats (oatmeal)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) flaxseed, ground
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) dried dates, diced
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) dried apples, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
In a re-sealable container, combine the oats, flaxseed, milk and water. Refrigerate overnight. Early in the morning, pour the mixture into a saucepan and add the dried fruit and cinnamon. Cook on low for approximately 15 minutes while stirring often. Add brown sugar and serve with the slivered almonds.
For more information and healthy recipe ideas, visit getenough.ca