Second Period Munchies
Contributed by: News Canada
There's a little sweet and a whole lot of flavour in this peanut snack mix.
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) peanuts
- 1 cup (250 ml) pretzels, preferably low-sodium
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) banana chips, coarsely broken
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 300°F (140°C).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk egg white until frothy. Whisk in sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne and salt (if using salted peanuts, use only ¾ tsp (4 ml) salt). Add peanuts and stir to coat. Spread on baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake in preheated oven, stirring a couple of times then spreading back into a single layer, until peanuts are barely sticky, about 30 minutes. If they are still a little sticky, they will dry on cooling. Stir in pretzels, banana chips and cranberries. Let dry completely.
Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Roasting time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 5 cups (1.25 L) 10 Servings