Grilled Kolbassa with Onions and Peppers
Contributed by: News Canada
Extra-lean kolbassa is the centrepiece of this easy and delicious dinner recipe, baked indoors or grilled on the barbecue.
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1 cm (1/2 in.) slices
- 1 chili pepper, seeded, cut in 0.5 cm (1/4 in.) strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut in 1 cm (½ in.) strips
- 2 pkgs/300g Piller's Extra Lean Ham Kolbassa or Piller's Turkey Kolbassa sausage, halved lengthwise, cut on the diagonal in 10 cm (4 in.) pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, cut in 1 cm (1/2 in.) strips
- Sea salt, freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, mustard, braised sauerkraut
Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss onion and peppers with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Mound vegetables in center of prepared baking sheet; top with Kolbassa. Place another large sheet of foil over. Fold and crimp all edges tightly to form a sealed packet.
Preheat oven to 350°F or gas grill to medium-high. Bake or transfer packet to grill and cook until onions and peppers are softened (steam will escape so open the packet carefully to check), about 25 minutes.
If using an oven, turn on broiler. Carefully cut open packet. Broil until sausages are browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. If grilling, remove sausages from packet and grill until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread, mustard, and braised sauerkraut alongside.
Serving Size: Makes 4-6 Servings