Mediterranean Asparagus Tart
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 lb (500g) Ontario Asparagus
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned 2% evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp (50 ml) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- (or 1 tbsp/15ml dried dillweed)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) pepper
Line pie shell with double layer of foil; bake in 450°F (230°C) oven for 8 minutes.
Remove foil and brush with some of the beaten eggs; bake for 5 to 7 minutes longer or until lightly
Break tough ends from asparagus; steam or cook stalks in large skillet of boiling water for 2
minutes or just until crisp-tender. rinse under cold running water; drain well and dry on towel. Cut
off 3-inch (8 cm) tips; slice remaining stalks into 1/4-inch (6 m) pieces and sprinkle 1 cup (250 mL)
in baked crust. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Arrange asparagus tips pointing outward in spokelike fashion. Whisk together eggs, milk, dill,
lemon rind, salt and pepper; pour over asparagus.
Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until puffy and set.
Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes - Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: Serves 6