Mexican Skillet Rice
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Whole grain brown rice, seasoned with Mexican-inspired spices and ingredients, takes this skillet to the max. Gluten-free and full of fresh ingredients, it offers celiacs a flavourful and healthy recipe option.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey 500 g
- 1 chopped medium onion 1
- 1 tsp chili powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 3 cups cooked brown rice 750 mL
- 1 16 oz (475 mL) can pinto beans, drained 1
- 2 4 oz (118 mL) cans diced green chilies 2
- 1 seeded and chopped tomato (optional) 1
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat until brown, stirring to crumble; drain fat. Add onion, chili powder, cumin and salt; cook until onion is tender. Stir in rice, beans and chiles; cook until heated through. Top with tomato, cheese and cilantro, if desired.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: about 398 cal, 20 g pro, 18 g fat, 39 g carb, 7 g fibre, 57 mg chol, 608 mg sodium.