Fresh Mushroom Cheddar Burger
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The Mushroom burger done right. Use any mushrooms you like - not only is this recipe versatile, but it is easy to make and enjoy. Served with meaty Portabella fries and a spicy Mayo dip, this is one mushroom dish that can't be resisted!
Preparation Time: 40 minutes - Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) butter
- 5 each Crimini, Oyster and Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Cajun spice mix
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1 Focaccia or hamburger bun
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) roasted red peppers
- 1 lettuce leaf
In a small bowl, mix together shallots, vinegar, salt and sugar; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon or lime juice and chipotle pepper; set aside.
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauti for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add flour, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper; mix together. Remove from the pan and let cool to room temperature. Using a 4 inch ring mold, on a square of wax paper, fit 1/2 of the mushroom mixture into the mold and press down. Top with cheese, then the rest of the mushroom mixture. Press down gently to hold shape. In same frying pan, over medium-high heat, melt remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) butter. Carefully remove mushroom patty from mold and place in pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 minutes; turn patty over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until patty is browned and heated through.
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 F.
While patty is cooking, remove stems from mushrooms and slice into 1" (2.5 cm) strips. Set up breading station with 3 shallow bowls or pie plates. Mix together flour and Cajun spice mix in first bowl, egg and water in second bowl and put panko bread crumbs in third bowl. Dip mushroom strips to coat in seasoned flour, then in egg mixture and then breadcrumbs. Place in deep fryer and cook for 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from fryer and drain on paper towel; season with salt.
Cut bun in half and spread with chipotle mayonnaise. Place lettuce leaf and warm burger on bottom 1/2 of bun; top with sweet and sour shallots, roasted red peppers and bun top. Serve with Portabella fries and remaining chipotle mayonnaise for dipping.
- If you don't have a ring mold, burger can be formed in by hand.
- If you don't have a deep fryer, you can shallow fry in a deep skillet with < cup vegetable oil; fry on all sides until golden brown and soft.
Fanshawe College's 2nd Place Recipe in the "Make it with Mushrooms" Student Chef Challenge, Fall 2009.
Watch the Mushroom Cheddar Burger cooking video online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 1 Servings