Wild Rice & Apple Salad
Contributed by: NAPSA
Technology Turns Over A New Leaf
(NAPSA) - The digital age is taking a seat at America's dining room tables. Now you can learn the life story of your bagged lettuce and spinach with a few simple clicks on a Web page.
Does it matter? The Food Channel thinks so. It has identified "Food Sourcing/Vetting" as a top consumer food trend in 2010.
But what it really means to consumers is the chance to make informed purchase decisions about the foods they feed their families.
That's why Fresh Express is offering its Leaf Locator online tool that can tell consumers where the leafy greens in their particular bag of salad were grown. Consumers can find the Leaf Locator on the "Your Salad Story" Web site -www.freshexpress.com/salad-which shows them how the salads are cared for from field to store.
In growing leafy greens, what happens in the field makes a big difference in the quality of the final product. Any master winemaker will vouch for this. In wine making, the growing region of the grapes has a lot to do with the quality of the wine. Similarly, a great salad starts with leaves grown in those regions that are best suited to bring out the unique flavors and textures of different varieties of leafy greens.
Once you know the inside story about your particular bag of Fresh Express salad, you can more fully enjoy delicious recipes such as this healthy luscious Wild Rice & Apple Salad:
- 1 Pkg. Fresh Express Tender Ruby(tm) Reds salad
- 1 cup wild rice cooked according to the directions on the package (or packaged precooked wild rice-grain combination)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup celery, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons toasted pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese
- Salad Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon minced thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Toss the Fresh Express Tender Ruby Reds salad, cooked wild rice, apple slices, celery and cranberries with the dressing. Toss well and sprinkle with the toasted pecans and the shaved cheese.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil and herbs. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in a large bowl or serve it individually as a great side salad-or serve with 6 ounces of roast turkey breast, cut into small cubes, for a wonderful lunch salad.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings