Chai Masala Sipper
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Surprise Mom with breakfast in bed this Mother's Day. Create a simple menu starring this comforting and aromatic tea-based beverage - easy enough for dads and kids to prepare together. Real cream with a hint of vanilla adds rich smoothness.
- 1 bottle (400 mL) Dairyland French Vanilla Creama
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks (about 6 inches/15 cm each)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) coarsely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fennel or anise seed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black peppercorns
- 5 cups (1.25 L) boiling water
- 3 black tea bags
- freshly ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon (optional)
Combine the Creama, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, ginger, fennel, cloves and pepper in a heavy saucepan set over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the cream. Meanwhile, pour the boiling water over the tea bags; steep for 5 minutes or until of desired strength.
Strain and discard the spices from the hot Creama mixture; stir into the steeped tea. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon (if using) before serving.
For a cafi experience, remove 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the strained Creama mixture and froth with a milk frother until foamy. Spoon over the top and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
More recipes can be found online at www.dairyland.ca/ProductFamily_Creama.aspx.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings