Fresh Fruit Kebobs
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Looking for new ways to serve fruit to your family - these grilled fruit kebobs may be just the ticket.
- Maple Vanilla Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt, preferably thick Balkan-style
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) orange peel
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL) vanilla
- Fruit Kebobs
- 4 8- to 10-inch (20- to 25-cm) skewers
- 2 California kiwi
- 1 California pear
- 1 California nectarine or peach
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) California grapes
- 8 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes pound or angel cake (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
If skewers are wooden, soak in water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, oil grill and preheat to medium-low. Stir yogurt with maple syrup, orange peel and vanilla.
Peel kiwi and cut into large bite-size chunks. Peel pear if you wish. Then cut pear and nectarines into 1-inch (2.5 cm) wedges. Thread fruit randomly with cake, if using, onto skewers.
Stir butter with sugar and cinnamon. Place skewers on grill and barbecue turning frequently until fruit is hot and cake is grilled, about 4 minutes. Just before removing from grill, brush fruit with butter mixture. Serve with Maple Vanilla Dipping Sauce.
Source: Recipe and image provided by the Buy California Marketing Agreement.
Serving Size: Makes 4 skewers with 1/4 cup (50 mL) dipping sauce per skewer