Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
It does the job of your mommy's chicken soup - without the chicken and with an Asian twist. This recipe will easily feed 8.
- 1/4 Cup ginger - peeled and julienned in "fine" 2" matchsticks
- 1/4 Cup garlic - minced
- 1/2 head green cabbage - core removed and chopped in 1" squares
- 12 shitake mushrooms - stems removed and sliced in 1/4" strips
- 1 Vidallia or other sweet onion - diced
- 2 medium red potato - diced
- 2 carrots - peeled and julienned in "thick" matchsticks
- 2 parsnip - peeled and julienned in "thick" matchsticks
- 1 rutabaga (about equal size to the red potatoes) - peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soya oil
- 3/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup mirin
- 1/2 Cup sake
- 1/3 Cup white miso
- 1 recipe stock (follows) - or 7 Cups vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini - diced
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix ginger, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, onion, potatoes, parsnip and rutabaga in a large greased roasting pan. Add oils, tamari, chili flakes and sesame seeds and mix well to coat. Roast, mixing occasionally, until lightly colored.
Remove vegetables to large soup pot. Deglaze roasting pan with sake and mirin - and add deglaze to pot. Add stock and bring quickly to a boil.
Remove a couple of cups of hot stock to a bowl and dissolve miso - and add back to soup pot. Add zucchini, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
- 4 carrots - peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 parsnip - peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks - peeled and roughly chopped
- 2" piece of ginger - peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 shallots - peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup pitted dates
- 8 Cups water
Place all in soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 hours.
Serving Size: Make 8 Servings