Thai Shrimp With Coconut-Almond Rice
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This warm, creamy rice is infused with coconut milk and toasty almonds. The natural sweetness of almonds and coconut marries well with the spicy chili sauce on the shrimp.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups (500 mL) jasmine rice
- 1 cup (235 mL) water
- 1 cup (235 mL) light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 pound (454 g) shelled and deveined frozen shrimp, thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared Thai-style chili sauce
- Chopped scallions to garnish
Place almonds in a single layer in a dry skillet, and turn heat to medium. Toast, stirring occasionally, until almonds are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes and set aside. Prepare rice according to package instructions, replacing half the water with coconut milk.
In a saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil and cook shrimp until pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chili sauce and stir until heated throughout. Stir almonds into cooked rice and top with shrimp mixture and fresh scallions. Serve.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories 518; Cholesterol; 171 mg; Total fat 26.5 g Fibre; 4 g; Saturated; 13.9 g; Calcium; 105 mg; Monounsaturated; 7.1 g Magnesium; 103 mg; Polyunsaturated; 3.7 g Sodium; 404 mg; Carb; 43 g Potassium; 528 mg; Protein; 30 g Vitamin E; 6 mg