Jalapeno Corn Chowder
Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
Another recipe originally developed for The Soup Bar...
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Cup onion - coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot - coarsely shredded
- 1 celery stock - finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper - finely chopped red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 Cups corn kernals - fresh or frozen
- 1 russet potato - peeled & 3/4" dice
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper - cut in half and seeded
- 2 Cups vegetable stock
- 1 Cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of hot chili sauce and finely shredded cheddar cheese for garnish.
Melt butter in Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrot, bell pepper, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until tender - about 10 minutes.
Stir in stock, corn, potato and jalapeno. Increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender - about 15 minutes.
Remove 1/2 of the jalapeno pepper and discard.
Transfer soup to blender and puree with the milk. Return pureed soup to pot. Heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with stock to desired consistency.