Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
With Pickled Ginger, Chili and Thai Basil Dressing.
- 8 oz asparagus tips
- 3 tsp tomato - peeled, seeded and chopped
- sesame seeds (to garnish)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped pickled ginger
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger - minced
- 2 tsp sundried tomatoes (packed in oil) - chopped
- 1 Thai red chili - seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Thai basil - chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
Steam asparagus for 3-5 minutes until just tender. (White aspargus are also great in this recipe. Just adjust the cooking time.) Plunge into an ice water bath. Drain.
Place all dressing ingredients except oils in food processor and process until smooth. Add oils and process for an additional 30 seconds.
Sauce individual plates and top with asparagus spears. Garnish with chopped tomato and sesame seeds.
This dressing is also really good on steamed baby bok choi and Asian cabbage slaw.