Italian Sausage, Red Pepper and Mushroom Rigatoni
Contributed by: News Canada
Recipe from Lighthearted at Home by Anne Lindsay in conjunction with the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Visit the Heart and Stroke Foundation's Health Check website at healthcheck.org for healthy recipes and monthly recipe makeover.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage 500 g
- 1 lb rigatoni, penne or corkscrew pasta 500 g
- 1 tsp canola or olive oil 5 mL
- 1 large onion, chopped 1
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 4
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut in chunks 2
- 2 cups thickly sliced mushrooms 500 g
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes 1
- 2 tsp dried basil 10 mL
- 2 tsp dried oregano 10 mL
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil 125 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese 25 mL
In skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink in centre, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well; cut into thin round slices.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm; drain and return to pot.
In nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, red peppers and mushrooms; cook, stirring often for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil and oregano; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage, and pepper to taste. Pour over pasta; toss to mix. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan; toss again. Pass extra Parmesan at the table.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 396 calories, 17 g protein, 13 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 23 mg cholesterol, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fibre, 624 mg sodium, 522 mg potassium