Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Are you having trouble maintaining a healthy body weight? You are not alone. Almost two-thirds of Canadians are either overweight or obese. Finding appealing and effective ways to achieve and maintain a healthy weight is very important, especially this time of year when New Year's resolutions start to take flight.
Being overweight can increase the risk of developing chronic diseases such as, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Carrying excess weight can put stress on joints causing pain and making it difficult to enjoy daily activities. Eating more fruits and vegetables, including fresh mushrooms, is a tasty way to help you keep your weight in check.
Fresh Mushrooms Can Help
Control Your Appetite
- Fresh mushrooms are considered a low glycemic food because they contain very little carbohydrate. That means that they do not raise blood-sugar levels as much as carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread.
- Studies have shown that low-glycemic foods may help control appetite longer than those with a high-glycemic index.
Consume Fewer Calories
- Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for reduced calorie diets as they have a high water content, are low in fat and contain some fibre: three factors that help keep you feeling full with fewer calories.
- Researchers have found that people who eat satisfying portions of foods that have less calories have greater success at weight loss and maintenance.
Boost the Flavours
- Mushrooms add a boost of flavour to foods, without adding extra fat, calories or sodium.
- Fresh mushrooms, shiitakes in particular, have a subtle savoury quality called umami that rounds out other flavours and adds taste satisfaction. This is why your steaks, pastas and pizzas often taste better with mushrooms.
Adding Mushrooms Make a Difference
- Substitute 1/2 cup sauteed white button mushrooms in quiche for 4 ounces of cooked bacon. Benefit: Save 580 calories, 45 g fat, 15 g saturated fat and 128 mg cholesterol.
- Substitute 1 cup diced portabella mushrooms in spaghetti sauce for 1/2 cup lean ground beef (80% lean).
Benefit: Save 285 calories, 19 g fat, 7 g saturated fat and 101 mg cholesterol.
More delicious mushroom recipes are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.