Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Contributed by: Susan
Old fashioned taste with less fat - delicious!
- Vegetable Cooking Spray
- l/3 cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 l/4 cups skim milk, divided
- l cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat natural sharp Cheddar cheese
- l/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- l/8 teaspoon pepper
- l/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 cups cooked large elbow macaroni (cooked without salt or fat)
- l/4 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- l/8 teaspoon paprika
Coat a saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
Add onions; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Add margarine; stir until margarine melts. Add
flour; cook l minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add 2 cups milk, and cook l5
minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat; add Cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in l/4 cup milk,
mustard, pepper and hot sauce.
Combine cheese mixture and macaroni in a l l/2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray;
stir well. Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 for
Serving Size: Yield: l0 servings
Nutritional Information: l37 calories per l/2 cup serving