Mushroom Soup Au Gratin
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This looks like French onion soup but has the rich mushroom flavour instead of onion. It is almost a meal itself so just add a salad and dinner is ready.
Preparation Time: 12 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 12 oz (375 g) sliced assorted fresh mushrooms (white, crimini, portabella, shiitake, oyster)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground nutmeg and pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2"/2.5 cm thick) toasted
- 4 oz (120 g) grated or sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In a large heavy saucepan heat oil over medium high heat; saute mushrooms, onions and garlic about 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth, lemon rind, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes.
Ladle soup into 4 deep ovenproof bowls. Float bread on top; sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan if using. Place under broiler until bubbly and lightly browned.
Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine with the chicken broth.
More great mushroom recipes are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories: 247; Protein: 12.9 g; Fat: 15.3 g; Carbohydrates: 12.2 g; Dietary Fibre: 1.9 g