California Walnut Coated Cheese Truffles
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Creamy cheese truffles harmonize with the pungent taste of olive and crunchy coating of California walnuts. This dish can be served with a mixture of flatbreads for taste and presentation.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened 250 g
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese [approx. 100 g] 250 mL
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sundried tomatoes 15 mL
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind 5 mL
- 1 tsp minced fresh oregano 5 mL
- 24 pitted Kalamata olives 24
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted 250 mL
- 8 fresh oregano sprigs 8
In large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Combine cream cheese, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, lemon rind, and oregano. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Scoop a tablespoon of cheese mixture and pat around an olive, forming a ball. Repeat until all of the cheese is used up.
Place walnuts in food processor; pulse until evenly and finely chopped. Transfer to a pie plate. Roll each ball in ground walnuts to coat. Refrigerate. At serving time, place 3 truffles in a martini glass; garnish with a sprig of fresh oregano.
Cheese truffles can be stored in refrigerator up to two days before serving.
Serving Size: Makes 8 (3 Truffles) Servings