Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
- 1/2 Cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 Cup mirin
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sambal olek
- 3 mango - peeled and sliced in 1/4" sticks - 2" long
- 1 medium jicama - peeled and sliced in 1/4" sticks - 2" long
- 2 carrots - peeled and grated
- 1 6" piece of daikon - peeled and sliced in 1/4" sticks - 2" long
- carrot noodle
- 1-1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 small bunch Thai basil - minced
Combine rice vinegar, mirin, sugar, star anise and salt in pot over medium low heat. Occasionally swirl gently until sugar is dissolved and mixture has thickened slightly. Remove and allow to cool.
Prepare mango, jicama, carrots and daikon and add to large bowl. Strain cooled mixture into bowl and add sambal olek. Mix well.
Add to bowl with salad and refrigerate overnight.
Cook noodles al dente, drain and run under cold water. Drain well and add to bowl. Mix in sesame oil. Refrigerate until needed.
Drain salad and return to bowl. Add minced Thai basil.
Place carrot noodle in base of martini glass or bowl.
Top with mango salad.