Three Cheese Mac
Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
With Wild Mushrooms and Truffle Oil - This one takes a bit of extra effort - but the bowls always come back empty! I bake and serve it in individual ramekins.
- 1-1/2 Cup fresh shitake mushrooms - stemmed and sliced in 1/4" widths
- 1 Cup fresh white mushrooms - stemmed and sliced in 1/4" widths
- 1 Cup fresh crimini mushrooms - stemmed and sliced in 1/4" widths
- 2 Tbsp sunflower or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2-1/2 Cups whole milk
- 4 oz herbed goat cheese - crumbled
- 4 oz sharp white cheddar - shredded
- 4 oz parmigiano - grated and separated into two piles
- 1 tsp fresh sage - minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary - minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves - minced
- 2 Tbsp white truffle oil
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 1/2 Cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add oil to large pan over medium heat. When oil is hot add mushrooms and cook until slightly caramelized - about 10 minutes. Stir or toss fairly regularly. When mushrooms are ready, season with salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with the sherry vinegar. Allow the vinegar to completely cook off and remove mushrooms from heat.
For bechamel - add butter to medium sauce pot over medium heat. When butter has melted whisk in the flour. Cook the flour, whisking constantly for about 30-40 seconds. (Just long enough to get rid off the raw flour taste but not long enough for the flour to start caramelizing.) Add sage, rosemary, thyme and red pepper flakes. Saute, stirring continuously for an additional 30 seconds. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking continuously so the roux and milk incorporate smoothly and there are no lumps. Allow bechamel to come to a simmer to reach its full thickness. Stir occasionally.
Add salt to boiling water and prepare the pasta until just al dente.
Once the bechamel has reached a simmer stir in the goat cheese, cheddar cheese, half of the parmesan and the truffle oil. Stir until cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Mix together panko and remaining half of the parmesan in a small bowl.
Drain cooked pasta and add to a large mixing bowl. Mix in cheese sauce and reserved mushrooms.
Ladle mixture into serving dish(es) - family style or individual ramekins - and sprinkle panko mixture evenly over the top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until top is golden and mac and cheese is bubbly.