M Veggie Burger
Contributed by: Michael Abramson of M Vegetarian Recipes
Without doubt - this is the absolute best veggie burger.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 19 oz can black beans - drained, rinsed well and pulsed in the food processor to rough puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 Cup almonds - toasted and chopped
- 1 Cup sunflower seeds - toasted and chopped
- 3 Cups panko bread crumbs - pulsed in the food processor to fine
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 5 eggs
- 2 Cups carrot - grated
- 2 Cups rolled oats
- Flour - for dredging
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
Toast almonds and sunflower seeds (separately) and set aside to cool. When cool - pulse (separately) to medium chop in the food processor.
Saute onions and garlic in 1 T oil until translucent. Remove to large bowl to cool.
Add all remaining ingredients except flour and oil. Mix well. (hands work best.) Form into 3 inch patties - about 3/4 inch thick. Dredge lightly in flour.
Heat 2 Tbsp oil in pan over medium high head. Brown burgers on both sides in batches. (You may need to add another T of oil.) When browned add 2 T water to pan and cover. Cook until water has evaporated.
Remove to 200 F oven to keep warm. Do not keep in oven for more than 20 minutes.
Can be made up to patty stage in advance. Dredge in flour and cook just prior to serving.
Serve on whole wheat burger buns topped with tomato, red onion, sprouts, dill pickle and roasted garlic aioli or burger sauce.
What's a great veggie burger without some great sauces to top it with?
Roasted Red Pepper
- 1/2 Cup roasted red pepper - chopped
- 1/4 Cup home made or good quality mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
Roast red peppers on BBQ or broil in oven until skin is blackened. Place roasted peppers in paper bag and allow to cool. When cool remove skin, core, seeds and veins.
Chop and combine with other ingredients in food processor and blend until "chunky" smooth. Refrigerate at least 3 hours prior to use.
Roasted Garlic Aioli
- 2 Cups home made or good quality mayonnaise
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme (minced)
- Salt and pepper
Cut the top off the garlic to expose the flesh. Drizzle with olive oil and thyme. Wrap tightly in foil. Roast in 325 F oven for 45 minutes or until soft. When cool enough to handle - squeeze flesh out of garlic skin and mash with a fork to a smooth paste. Whisk into mayonnaise until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- 1 Cup home made or good quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup home made or good quality BBQ sauce
- 1/4 Cup dill pickle - finely chopped
- 1 tsp chili in adobo sauce - chopped
Prepare and mix all ingredients together well.