Egg and Prosciutto Filled Portabella Caps On Spinach
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This low carb complete meal is easy and quick to prepare for brunch, or light supper.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 4 5"(12 cm) fresh portabella mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp (25mL) olive oil, divided
- 4 oz (120g) fresh Shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125mL) diced sweet or green onion
- 1/4 cup (50mL) diced red pepper
- 1/4 tsp (2mL) each salt, pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) dried rosemary
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp (25mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125mL) diced prosciutto or crisp bacon
- 1 cup (250mL) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 6 oz (180 g) pkg spinach
- 1/4 cup (50mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Brush 2 tsp (10 mL) oil on rounded side of portabella caps. Place gill side up in baking pan; roast in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; lower heat to 350 F (180 C).
Meanwhile in a large non-stick skillet heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium-high heat; saute shiitake mushrooms, onions, red pepper and seasonings about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Lower heat to medium-low; in a medium bowl whisk eggs and milk together until well combined; pour over mushrooms. With large spoon or heatproof rubber spatula push the egg mixture gently around the pan as it sets. Continue until they are, creamy and just set but still moist, about 2-4 minutes; remove from heat and stir in prosciutto or bacon and half Swiss cheese. Mound on top of warm portabella caps.
Sprinkle remaining Swiss cheese evenly on top and return to oven for 2-3 minutes or to melt cheese.
Meanwhile in large saucepan heat remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil over medium-high heat. Saute spinach 2 minutes until just wilted; stir in Parmesan cheese. Divide spinach among 4 medium plates; push it into a ring and place mushroom caps in the centre.
- Purchase pre-cooked bacon bits to save time.
- If the portabellas have stems when purchased, chop the stems and cook with the shiitake mixture.
- The portabellas could be cooked 30-40 min ahead of time and reheated in a warm oven.
More great mushroom recipes are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings