Cornbread and Andouille Dressing
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Spice up traditional turkey entrees with this unique Southern-inspired dressing. Sweet onion, green pepper, celery and jalapeno peppers bring the flavours of the South to your very own Thanksgiving table.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil 45 mL
- 1 lb andouille sausage*, diced 500 g
- 1-1/2 cups chopped Southern U.S. sweet onion 375 mL
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Southern U.S. celery 125 mL
- 1/2 cup diced Southern U.S. green pepper 125 mL
- 4 tbsp minced, seeded Southern U.S. jalapeno pepper 60 mL
- 8 cups crumbled cornbread 2 L
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water 125 mL
- Salt and pepper to taste
In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until sausage is crisp, approximately 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeno. Cook, stirring until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add cornbread and stir to combine. Add stock or water by the tablespoonful until mixture is well-moistened but not soggy. Cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- * If Andouille is not available at your grocery store, chorizo can be substituted.
Source: Developed by Chef Jacques Leonardi for www.gosouthfresh.com.
Serving Size: Makes 16 Cups