Mushroom Scalloped Potatoes
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The rich full-bodied flavour and texture of sauteed mushrooms and green onions add pizzazz to this "never fail" version of the classic, perfect for a family fall feast.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- 2 tbsp butter 25 mL
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms 500 g
- 4 large green onions, chopped 4
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 25 mL
- 2 1/4 cups milk 550 mL
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed 125 g
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, salt and black pepper 1 mL
- 4 to 6 cooked, peeled potatoes (2 lb/ 1 kg) 4 to 6
- 1 1/4 cups each fresh breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar or Swiss cheese 300 mL
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms and onions; cook, covered until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk, cream, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; cook until smooth and thickened.
Pour into greased 8 cup (2 L) baking dish. Cut potatoes into 1/4" (6mm) slices and fold into sauce. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese on top. Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- For convenience, cook potatoes a few days before. Cook potatoes until tender but firm; cover and cool or chill before slicing.
- If potatoes have thin skins do not peel - you not only save time but will gain extra nutrition.
This recipes is an excellent source of calcium, niacin, vitamin B-2, and is a source of fibre.
More delicious recipe ideas can be found online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories: 407, Protein: 15.3 g, Fat: 21.5 g, Carbohydrates: 40.0 g, Dietary Fibre: 3.8 g