Sweet Onion Brie Bundle
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Start the evening off with this simple yet elegant appetizer that beautifully showcases the rich, buttery flavour of sweet onions and pecans.
- 2 tbsp butter 25 mL
- 2 Southern U.S. Vidalia or Texas 1015 Sweet Onions, sliced into 1-inch [2.5-cm] rings 2
- 1/2 tsp each: salt and pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 cup sherry [optional] 125 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped Southern U.S. Pecans 50 mL
- 2 sheets filo pastry 2
- 7 oz brie wheel 210 g
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly 125 mL
- 2 tbsp melted butter 25 mL
- 1 green onion, white part cut off 1
In skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions, salt and pepper; cook until onions brown. Add sherry; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Stir in pecans.
On baking sheet, place filo pastry; top with brie. On top of brie, spread jelly. Brush filo edges with butter; roll edges over sides of brie, leaving top bare. Place onion mixture on top of brie. Bake in 350 F [180 C] oven until pastry is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
For decoration, tie green onion around center of brie bundle.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings